Friday, November 17, 2023

I'm Painting My Damn Leadpile II

I feel like it's a bit of a trope at this point of hobby bloggers setting ambitious goals for lofty projects before, comically, going completely dark for long periods of time--or forever.

I try, generally, to avoid tropes here but boy did I run smack into this one.

Anyhow, after a healthy and normal length break, the good new is that I sure do have a lot of content for any of my readers who happen to still be out there after all this time. It's gonna be heavy on the (years-old) pics and light on the text though, as I have to acknowledge that my life has gotten far too busy for the kind of detailed posts I used to do. So if you have any questions, let me know in the comments. I'm happy to go into details if I know someone is reading and cares XD


First up are some treasures from the leadpile, classic Jes Goodwin Eldar sculpts including harlequins. I painted them mostly using liquitex Azo, Quinacridone, and Cerulean. And white of course.

Here starting with a general glaze of the yellow, and then back with the white to establish the values for the OSL.
Cerulean for the glowing energy weapons...

...and highlighted with a quick and dirty white drybrush.


Magenta glazes for the shadows


And some metallic highlights? I don't super remember tbh...I took these photos years ago now.

Here's that unit of Quar from the last post. I got myself some better oil paints and did a test model.
Working on glass with white paper underneath makes both mixing and cleanup easy. Since the oils take a while to dry, I just cover the palette with a bell jar between sessions so I can keep using the same colors for several days.



These are some examples of how the oil paint workflow for blending happens. Basically, you apply highlights, midtones, shadows very loosely and roughly where they are supposed to go, then you use a blending brush to make them smooth. I find that I prefer this MASSIVELY to layering with acryllics.





And here's the rest of the Quarmy ready for priming.Years later, I would return to the primed models still stuck to their priming stands with double-stick tape and half the bases would simply pull off. I don't use superglue to adhere metal models to washers anymore as a result.


And here's a WIP of the hovertank that I scratchbashed from a World War Toons Chibi-Churchill and lots of other bits. Kind of going for my own take on a Ma.K-style hovertank.





Extra points if you can spot where the gun barrel came from. Double extra if you can identify the white sensor array piece in the above shot.



3 comments :

  1. First, go you! I need to get painting, and leadpiles are intimidating. I love the chibi tank conversion, but I can't pick out the gun. Looks like some kind of toy, but I figure that was the gimme part. The white business on the right, below the gun, looks like a piece of wire and maybe some kind of wire nut? Can't be sure. Looks a bit off, but maybe you're in a different country than me and use somewhat different standards. (That happens often enough.) The other one, on the left side below the piece of blue wire, looks to be the speaker out of an earbud of some kind? (I may have saved a few of those for reasons.) Great stuff, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo on the earbud! I don't see many people using them, but I've started saving every pair that goes bust. Such cool little greebles! No points on the gun, though I will say it's more a model kit than a toy ;)

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another skilled trash-basher used them as jets for hover cars and I really liked the idea and started saving them myself. They're interesting little parts. It's odd that more people aren't using them yet, as they're so ubiquitous and the wear out so quickly.

      Delete